Canadian Security Guards Forum

Canadian Security Guard Forum is...

The best forum about the Canadian security guard profession.

Please register on our forum and participate by sharing your experience and knowledge.

We welcome members and input from around the world.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Canadian Security Guard Forum is...

The best forum about the Canadian security guard profession.

Please register on our forum and participate by sharing your experience and knowledge.

We welcome members and input from around the world.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions for private security officers and management, everything related to contract or full-time guard services.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves. Abraham Lincoln
The balance between freedom and security is a delicate one. Mark Udall

To advertise on our forum contact us HERE

Latest topics

» Security Guard Wages
Question About Daily Reports EmptyFri Jul 15, 2022 3:44 am by Dgsecurityservices

» Intoduction
Question About Daily Reports EmptyTue May 31, 2022 7:10 pm by Admin

» Duty Belt Diet
Question About Daily Reports EmptyFri Dec 10, 2021 8:09 am by Admin

» Introduction
Question About Daily Reports EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 am by Admin

Become a sponsor and place your ad here.

+3
Tyko
StevenWS
CAsecurity
7 posters

Question About Daily Reports

CAsecurity
    Junior Officer
    Junior Officer

Question About Daily Reports Empty Question About Daily Reports

Post by CAsecurity Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi, I have a few concerns at my security job at the moment, which I am relatively new to. Hopefully there are more experienced people on here that can answer some of my questions.

To start things off, I work as a concierge at a condo. The company I work for tell us to type up our daily reports on the computer, instead of having them hand written - this is my first concern. If someone wanted to alter the documents, they would be able to do so easily. As these are used as legal documents in the event of anything happening, I find this concerning.

My second concern is with the management staff at the condo, not the security management. The property managers of the condo have access to our daily reports as we are told to email our reports to them everyday. In my view and what I was taught, daily reports should be treated as confidential information. I understand that most of the other places my friends work at, the security supervisors have access to them and read them on a daily basis, but none of them have the property managers reading them.

Any feedback and discussion greatly welcomed. As my English is not the best, don't hesitate to ask questions or for me to rephrase if I am unclear on some parts. Thank you for your time in reading this and responding if you do.
    StevenWS
    StevenWS
    General Officer
    General Officer

Question About Daily Reports Empty Re: Question About Daily Reports

Post by StevenWS Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Hello Ca,

For your question:

The company I work for tell us to type up our daily reports on the computer, instead of having them hand written

They should be kept confidential and are one way of recording shift activity, but I would also make personal notes in your notebook on anything important so as to use in court. 

The client does have a right to view your reports as they are paying for the service.
    Tyko
    Junior Officer
    Junior Officer

Post by Tyko Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 am

I would say the best way is to keep two sets of notes. I will generally use my notepad for most of the shift, and when I get get a chance transfer the information to the electronic report. That covers your end of things, and will also keep management happy.
    Admin
    Admin
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by Admin Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:14 pm

Tyko wrote:I would say the best way is to keep two sets of notes. I will generally use my notepad for most of the shift, and when I get get a chance transfer the information to the electronic report. That covers your end of things, and will also keep management happy.

I agree with Tyko that is a great way to cover it.
    JohnC
    Junior Officer
    Junior Officer

Post by JohnC Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Always take notes each day you work. The client needs to know what happens on the shifts so they need to see the reports.
    Nightwatchman
    Nightwatchman
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by Nightwatchman Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:06 am

I like the posts here. Yes, the client pays for the report, I have a notebook as well as a `patrol time sheet' for time and comments, I have my own logbook, to make any personal observations. My boss undoubtedly will provide a copy of guards time-sheets to the client, upon request, or on a regular basis. I give a verbal report to the site super at the end of my shift.. I am confident here, no worries, the extraordinary incidents, I can commit to memory as well as making entries in my log book.
    Brian Davis
    Brian Davis
    General Officer
    General Officer

Post by Brian Davis Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:36 pm

Tyko is right and you are right in keeping a notebook and completing the daily shift report.  There is one thing I would add though; Both your notepad and the shift report are legal documents and need to be treated as such.

When working a security shift, I have always followed the established industry standard.  I carry a proper evidence notepad and record all information that may be useful in that.  Then throughout or at the end of the shift I use my notes to complete a shift report for the client.  In many cases the report is the only tangible thing the customer get to hold in his or her hand as a result of the money they are paying for security services.

The notepad I use is an evidence notepad with page numbers and additional information that may be useful like the charter of rights and use of force framework.  At the beginning of the shift I write the date, the site location where I am working, the time on duty, and the current weather as that can play a factor in interpreting what's written if ever used in court.  I buy mine directly from Triform at: http://www.triform.com/law-enforcement/evidence-notebook/3-and-half-by-5/
    They are reasonably priced and you can get them specific to your region of Canada.

As far as the report being altered, it should be saved as a PDF so that it cannot be tampered with.  But as long as you take thorough notes in your notepad and treat it like the legal document it is, you will be fine. 

I hope that helps.

Stay Safe
    Brian Davis
    Brian Davis
    General Officer
    General Officer

Post by Brian Davis Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Not sure if this will be useful, but here is an example of the notes I take in my notebook.

Question About Daily Reports Notes-example

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am