Canadian Security Guards Forum

Canadian Security Guard Forum is...

The best forum about the Canadian security guard profession.

Please register on our forum and participate by sharing your experience and knowledge.

We welcome members and input from around the world.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Canadian Security Guard Forum is...

The best forum about the Canadian security guard profession.

Please register on our forum and participate by sharing your experience and knowledge.

We welcome members and input from around the world.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions for private security officers and management, everything related to contract or full-time guard services.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves. Abraham Lincoln
The balance between freedom and security is a delicate one. Mark Udall

To advertise on our forum contact us HERE

Latest topics

» Security Guard Wages
Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard EmptyFri Jul 15, 2022 3:44 am by Dgsecurityservices

» Intoduction
Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard EmptyTue May 31, 2022 7:10 pm by Admin

» Duty Belt Diet
Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard EmptyFri Dec 10, 2021 8:09 am by Admin

» Introduction
Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 am by Admin

Become a sponsor and place your ad here.

3 posters

Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard

StevenWS
    StevenWS
    General Officer
    General Officer

Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard Empty Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard

Post by StevenWS Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard

Being a security guard is an important job and you should take pride in it. You should strive to be the best security guard that you should be. If you want to be great at your security guard job, here are 8 tips:

1. Know your manuals by heart. You should be familiar with the policies and the procedures of the company you work for. When you first get your job, take it seriously and actually study them as if there was going to be a test. Because, really, at some point your knowledge will be tested – it just won’t be on paper.

2. Practice continuous learning. Take the initiative to go to workshops or seminars when you learn about them. Your employer will be impressed and your knowledge in your field will be appreciated. You will do better at your job with more knowledge.

3. Go to refresher courses when they are offered. These give you the chance to learn from more experienced guards and it is a great chance to practice continuous learning.

4. Stay in great shape. Don’t get lazy just because you have the job. Workout regularly. Practice strength training and aerobic training so that you are always in your best condition and ready for whatever your job requires of you.

Self Defense
    Self Defense (Photo credit: Pioneer Library System)

5. Learn self-defense and practice it as part of your workout routine. You can have fun practicing your techniques with a co-worker or a friend and the more you practice the better you will get.

6. Be aware of what is going on in your community. You should know about crimes that are taking place before they come to you. If you are well versed in the news of your area you will be better prepared in the long run.

7. Find a mentor. If you can find someone that can give you good advice when you need it you will have a better chance of being a great security guard. They can point you in the right direction when you need it and give you constructive criticism.

8. Never make assumptions. When you make assumptions you are more likely to go wrong and that can get both you and the company you work for in trouble. Don’t assume that someone is safe just because they are in a suit and tie or a uniform. Don’t assume that someone is ok just because you’ve seen them around before. Follow the rules for everyone, not just the people you are suspicious about. Keep your guard up and your eyes open.
    Nightwatchman
    Nightwatchman
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard Empty Codes

Post by Nightwatchman Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:55 pm

Very good outline, Steven!

1. no manuals as such, just some company procedures, that we are sometimes only told part of, and then we are told later, that `my response was an overreaction' I disagreed(with this threat of bodily harm by someone, I do not take chances, called cops) I do not take chances, even with a low-level threat he should have been warned(by cops)! So now I know, company procedure. This was on the heels of a `wanton and frivolous complaint by another party(s). A bad night.

2. I have mentioned these to employer, not happening yet. Though I am a `first-aider' with CPR.

3. See above.

4. I do, am in excellent shape, illness free for six years(knock on wood!) as well as `well beyond strong' in lifting/pressing capacity (not a braggart, just stating facts)

5. I would like to take some SD courses, but I have learned from pros, so I know a few `moves and counters'

6. I agree, and am vigilant, I also have crime stats sent to my residence through `Statistics Yukon'

7. I have got some tips from other guards, and my boss(of course).This forum has helped a lot too, as well as the book `Verbal Juso'

8. So true, peoples feelings or bodies, can get hurt. Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing.

Last edited by Nightwatchman on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gr)
    BryanM35
    BryanM35
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard Empty Re: Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard

Post by BryanM35 Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:30 am

StevenWS wrote:Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard

Being a security guard is an important job and you should take pride in it. You should strive to be the best security guard that you should be. If you want to be great at your security guard job, here are 8 tips:

1. Know your manuals by heart. You should be familiar with the policies and the procedures of the company you work for. When you first get your job, take it seriously and actually study them as if there was going to be a test. Because, really, at some point your knowledge will be tested – it just won’t be on paper.

2. Practice continuous learning. Take the initiative to go to workshops or seminars when you learn about them. Your employer will be impressed and your knowledge in your field will be appreciated. You will do better at your job with more knowledge.

3. Go to refresher courses when they are offered. These give you the chance to learn from more experienced guards and it is a great chance to practice continuous learning.

4. Stay in great shape. Don’t get lazy just because you have the job. Workout regularly. Practice strength training and aerobic training so that you are always in your best condition and ready for whatever your job requires of you.

Self Defense
    Self Defense (Photo credit: Pioneer Library System)

5. Learn self-defense and practice it as part of your workout routine. You can have fun practicing your techniques with a co-worker or a friend and the more you practice the better you will get.

6. Be aware of what is going on in your community. You should know about crimes that are taking place before they come to you. If you are well versed in the news of your area you will be better prepared in the long run.

7. Find a mentor. If you can find someone that can give you good advice when you need it you will have a better chance of being a great security guard. They can point you in the right direction when you need it and give you constructive criticism.

8. Never make assumptions. When you make assumptions you are more likely to go wrong and that can get both you and the company you work for in trouble. Don’t assume that someone is safe just because they are in a suit and tie or a uniform. Don’t assume that someone is ok just because you’ve seen them around before. Follow the rules for everyone, not just the people you are suspicious about. Keep your guard up and your eyes open.

Great write up. I am impressed. This is a very good contribution StevenWS. I really like to appreciate your emphasis on how to be a great security guard. Thanks for valuable addition StevenWS.

Sponsored content

Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard Empty Re: Top 8 Ways to be a Great Security Guard

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am