Canadian Security Guards Forum

Canadian Security Guard Forum is...

The best forum about the Canadian security guard profession.

Please register on our forum and participate by sharing your experience and knowledge.

We welcome members and input from around the world.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Canadian Security Guard Forum is...

The best forum about the Canadian security guard profession.

Please register on our forum and participate by sharing your experience and knowledge.

We welcome members and input from around the world.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions for private security officers and management, everything related to contract or full-time guard services.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves. Abraham Lincoln
The balance between freedom and security is a delicate one. Mark Udall

To advertise on our forum contact us HERE

Latest topics

» Security Guard Wages
Promotional Videos EmptyFri Jul 15, 2022 3:44 am by Dgsecurityservices

» Intoduction
Promotional Videos EmptyTue May 31, 2022 7:10 pm by Admin

» Duty Belt Diet
Promotional Videos EmptyFri Dec 10, 2021 8:09 am by Admin

» Introduction
Promotional Videos EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 am by Admin

Become a sponsor and place your ad here.

+2
BryanM35
Admin
6 posters

Promotional Videos

Admin
    Admin
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Promotional Videos Empty Promotional Videos

Post by Admin Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:07 pm

BryanM35
    BryanM35
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Promotional Videos Empty Re: Promotional Videos

Post by BryanM35 Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:42 am

Great promotional video. I am impressed.
    Admin
    Admin
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by Admin Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:53 am

BryanM35 wrote:Great promotional video. I am impressed.

Thanks Bryan.
    BryanM35
    BryanM35
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by BryanM35 Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:38 am

Admin wrote:
    BryanM35 wrote:Great promotional video. I am impressed.

Thanks Bryan.

Mention not, you deserve a like.
    Brian Davis
    Brian Davis
    General Officer
    General Officer

Post by Brian Davis Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Good job on the video.  Where else have you used this video?  Social media?  I think it is nice to see a company embrace more modern forms of marketing.  Marketing like this is now within reach of just about any security agency regardless of size.

Do you have any tips for others who may be interested in creating a promotional video for their operation?  Did you produce it yourself?  Did you need special equipment?

Brian Davis
    http://www.SecurityGrinder.com
    DavidJ
    DavidJ
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by DavidJ Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:52 am

I shall 100% disagree on the video being good. Edged weapon VS baton? Works in a set up video but in reality, you would stand a 99.9% chance of ending up seriously hurt or dead.

Police are trained to ramp up to firearms when facing  edged weapons. Time and distance are your safety factors. Using a baton means you must engage the subject up close. Exactly the opposite of what police are taught! You had better be pretty damned well trained and VERY LUCK if you engage a knife wielding suspect up close when you just have a baton.

Police training maintains a 14 foot distance brings you into the "bad shit is about to happen zone" and to avoid engaging. To retreat if possible to a safer distance where a firearm can become an option. Within the 14 foot zone you wouldn't even be able to draw a firearm in time. That is per Ontario Police College use of force training.

An armed intruder VS a security guard with only a baton is likely going to win. If you are close enough to strike with the baton the suspect is close enough to lunge and stab/slash you.

Now as for a vest. Unless you have an upper end vest that is ballistic and stab/slash resistant, a regular vest won't stop a stab. Vests also don't cover you arms, neck or groin (inner thigh area included). a slice to the jugular vein, femoral artery, and upper inner arm veins/artery. Any of these being cut will put you out of commission and very, very quickly!  

If I were the guard in that video and facing a knife, I'd remain in the vehicle, doors looked and calling for police. IF...someone's life was is immanent danger, I'd consider using the vehicle to drive them off.

Oh, and in a majority of knife incidents, it is an unskilled knife fighter that strikes in panic and lands a (lucky) blow.

Sorry, baton VS edged weapon.....that is a last resort, you can't flee type move. Certainly not a - you go ahead and engage move!
    Admin
    Admin
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by Admin Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:57 am

David it's a promotional video. Not a training video. Relax.

DavidJ
    DavidJ
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by DavidJ Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Admin wrote:David it's a promotional video. Not a training video. Relax.

Promoting what? The false notion that a baton wielding security guard can protect a property against an edged weapon attacker? Relax? I simply cannot sit back and not speak out when I see something that like that video which is portraying a false sense that a guard with an baton is a match for a person with a knife. Sorry if my stand does not support a promotion of what a security company would like a client to think they can do when the truth is such a scenario would end very badly.

I do understand that as a business owner you are doing what you think will grow your business. But it is videos link that that do catch to eye of unknowing want-to-be types and lead them in a direction that is clearly not in tune with reality.
    StevenWS
    StevenWS
    General Officer
    General Officer

Post by StevenWS Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:37 pm

DavidJ wrote:
    Admin wrote:David it's a promotional video. Not a training video. Relax.

Promoting what? The false notion that a baton wielding security guard can protect a property against an edged weapon attacker? Relax? I simply cannot sit back and not speak out when I see something that like that video which is portraying a false sense that a guard with an baton is a match for a person with a knife. Sorry if my stand does not support a promotion of what a security company would like a client to think they can do when the truth is such a scenario would end very badly.

I do understand that as a business owner you are doing what you think will grow your business. But it is videos link that that do catch to eye of unknowing want-to-be types and lead them in a direction that is clearly not in tune with reality.

This forum is good for opinions. I can only speak for Alberta, Ontario's attitude in government and police maybe different. Working with the RCMP has been enjoyable from my experiences. 

Now on the point of only observing and reporting. Can you explain to me why we are licensed ,insured and trained to use handcuff and baton? To never use them?

Why are we trained in the arrest proccedure and use of force? So we never arrest or detain anyone?

That does not make sense in rural Alberta or any place.

A loss prevention officer is not to detain or arrest a shoplifter? We would not be employed very long.

Security guards are NOT police but can help keep communities secure and safe. It is being done all across Canada. People can move forward and work together or be left in the past.
    DavidJ
    DavidJ
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by DavidJ Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:12 pm

We shall have to agree to disagree. I cannot speak as to how things are outside of Ontario. But right now contract security here has been and will continue to be a circus act. Guards and companies used for nothing more than an insurance reduction move. Those guards and companies are extremely disposable by the clients. Clients demanding/expecting police level service but not willing to pay for that level of service. Companies and guards trying to provide a service they really cannot just to try and please a cheap-ass client and keep the account.

Training in Ontario is farcical. What is depicted on websites is concocted to present a specific image to drawn unwitting persons into the field. I have seen and experienced this training. From my previous training and experience, it is a bloody joke! How in hell's name to you train someone in proper use of force by making the read about it and showing them a video? Serious play-out scenarios with critiques after each scenario should be mandatory! A demonstration that the recruit guard actually understands the use of force process. 

Now these poor fresh guards are turned loose to get paid minimum wage, poor/no benefits and have had their heads filled that "this is a stepping stone into policing" line.

The other day I had personal business at a local plaza. I noticed a security guard, striding, and I mean striding, about like he was on a critical mission. As I watched I discovered he was simply circling the plaza. He did this several times whilst I was there. He looked straight ahead the entire time. No stopping or even slowing to glance about or into businesses. His marine style hair cut, 3 cuff pouches and assorted other pouches, and the bloused pants into the tact boots left me wondering - what the hell is creeping about in this guy's mind?

People want a cheaper solution. Well if you're paying the price of pine then don't expect to get mahogany!
    Brian Davis
    Brian Davis
    General Officer
    General Officer

Post by Brian Davis Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:58 pm

DavidJ, you must get extremely frustrated watching any type of security, law enforcement, or military engagements on film.  You make some great points but I do believe you have taken the promotional video out of context.  This a marketing piece plain and simple.  As with any marketing there is an element of sensationalism...it is what catches peoples attention.

I commend Admin for taking the time to actually use some creative marketing.  If this were a training or recruiting video I am sure all would agree with the points you have made.

What you don't realize is that you are focusing on one segment of the security guard services market.  There are plenty of customers out there who are using security services because they have to.  Whether for regulatory purposes, insurance purposes, or in a lame attempt to address a problem, these customers view security services as a necessary evil on the expense side of their books.  And as you have accurately stated this is where the gung-ho, rent-a-cop, police wanna-be's typically end up.  And it ticks me off as well, thats why I have been writing, and advocating for better education and training for private security for nearly 20 years now...there is a serious public perception problem with the industry thats for sure.

However, the story doesn't end there, thankfully.  There are many customers who actually want security.  They want effective protection and they are willing to pay for it.  They understand the value of effective security measures and they hire good companies and consultants who understand that security guards play a integral part in just about all integrated security programs.  The jobs in these companies are typically harder to get and there is a good reason for that.  Like you implied, there are plenty of rent-a-cops out there, and the last thing a good company wants is to get saddled with a bad attitude in a uniform.  So typically these positions go to people who have paid their dues and shown they have the mental fortitude to deal with all types of people and situations even from within their own fold, while striving to continue to grow and become true professionals.  Experience and education...two sides to the same coin.

As a consultant and previous agency owner, I am more than happy to let the bad agencies have the bad customers.  Quality is better than quantity anyway...and I have found quality usually pays better with less headaches.

Now back to promo video.  It is a promo video.  It's job is to get attention.  Not to inspire people to become security guards, not to give some false sense of security to the public, not to be a training scenario for current guards.  It gets attention, so it does its job as a marketing mechanism.  Plus like I said above; it is great to see an agency owner, in this industry, using video for marketing.  It can be a powerful way to get the agency name out there.  And sometimes the cornier it is the better it is depending on one's marketing strategy.

As far as the debate between "Observe and Report" and "Interveners", to subscribe exclusively to one or the other is silly.  These are responses and will depend on many factors, including but not limited to the specific situation, self-safety, public-safety, customer-safety, legal implications, capabilities of those involved, etc.  There have been situations where the best outcome was reached by simply observing and reporting.  There have been many more where the best outcome was reached by intervening.

Bottom line DavidJ is that there is much more to the private security industry than meets the eye.  It is very easy to become jaded, but I guarantee you there is good out there.  All sorts of good.

Stay Safe,
    Admin
    Admin
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by Admin Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Very well stated Brian.
    DavidJ
    DavidJ
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by DavidJ Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 am

I have actually checked out some of their other videos which are good. But it is the "element of sensationalism...it is what catches peoples attention." in the video in question that I do take issue with. Why? Because it suggests that a guard would be capable of fending off an armed intruder - period!

As for films I don't tend to what cop films or TV shows. The sensationalism built into them makes me want to puke.

A police officer here in Ontario is being tried for murder. Constable Jame Forcillo shot and killed a young man named Sammy Yatim on a Toronto street car. It was cop VS man with a knife.

Now why I bring this up is all the garbage that has surfaced from a hoard of sources suggesting/questioning why the cop simply didn't shoot the knife out of Yatim's hand.The masses have watched too much sensationalized film/TV and think what they see is reality. And yes, a lot of people ARE just that bloody naive. So, yes I may come off over sensitive about the video, but it is with damned good reason.

It is the same as people calling ballistic vests "bullet proof vests" ( makes me cringe!) when in fact, no vest is bullet proof 100%. And ballistic vests, albeit better than not having one, may not stop an edged weapon. That is why corrections have stab/puncture resistant vests rather than ballistic vests. Some high end vest do combine those two features. So Joe guard goes out, gets into an altercation with a guy with a knife and everyone, after the fact, wonders how he could have been stabbed through his  (likely low end) "bullet proof vest".
    Brian Davis
    Brian Davis
    General Officer
    General Officer

Post by Brian Davis Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Everyone has different experience and capabilities.  I have had a guard fend off an armed intruder...perhaps not in the same way as depicted in this video, but it has happened.  

I can't help but agree about the effect that "cop shows" and movies have on public perception, but the security and law enforcement realm isn't the only victim of such gross misrepresentation. 

Unfortunately there will always be a hoard of sources that suggest stupid things.  My only response to that, in the moment, is to remind myself that while everyone has a right to an opinion, not all opinions are informed, and therefore don't carry the same weight.

However, your opinions are certainly valued here and make for some great discussion in the forums.  And I also want to say I believe that words have certain meanings and precision in language is important. Good point there. 

Ballistic Vests:  I have found that the risk of one of my guards running up against an edged weapon has always been greater than the risk of them encountering a subject with a firearm.  Thats why I have never equipped my guards with ballistic vests.  However an impact/puncture resistant vest has proven a valuable asset in many incidents.

Stay Safe
    StevenWS
    StevenWS
    General Officer
    General Officer

Promotional Videos Empty Another Video

Post by StevenWS Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Admin wrote:
    Below is the new main company promotional video.It gives a better overview. Please forgive the "slash proof" "stab proof". We should have did a retake to refer better to it as puncher resistant or ballistic vests. Nothing is 100% protection.

Brian Davis
    Brian Davis
    General Officer
    General Officer

Post by Brian Davis Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:45 pm

The full length video is great.  It is nice to see you take the feedback to make your product better.  I am impressed Steven.  We should get together next time I am out your way.
    StevenWS
    StevenWS
    General Officer
    General Officer

Post by StevenWS Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Brian Davis wrote:The full length video is great.  It is nice to see you take the feedback to make your product better.  I am impressed Steven.  We should get together next time I am out your way.

Sounds good Brian. It's always nice to meet people with similar interests. Coffee is always on.
    Nightwatchman
    Nightwatchman
    Senior Officer
    Senior Officer

Post by Nightwatchman Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:24 am

Good promo, and posts, thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 am